New members are always welcome!
Third-level students get 50% off membership costs.
Types of Membership
There are three different types of membership:
- Full: Open to journalists (staff/freelance) who have a proven interest in S&T and are producing a continuously significant proportion of their output on S&T-related topics.
- Associate: Open to journalists who have a proven interest in S&T but whose S&T output amounts to less than half of their total output.
- Student: Open to third-level students of any subject but with a proven interest in science and technology journalism.
The full list of criteria and rules are contained in our constitution.
As a member, you will be invited to ISTJA meetings, talks, and events. As well as getting to know other science journalists, members can apply for a number of grants each year.
These include travel grants to conferences, as well as research grants for specific subjects. There is also a LinkedIn and WhatsApp group to enable you to keep in touch with fellow journalists.
To read about some of our members, check out ‘Member Profiles’.
How to Join
- Use our ‘Contact Form’ to email your details. Please include the link to your LinkedIn profile, portfolio site, or CV.
- We will contact you if we need any additional information.
- Your application is then reviewed by members of ISTJA.
- Once a decision has been made, we will email you.
Membership fees are paid every January
- Full & Associate: €20 per year
- Student (50% off): €10 per year